If you would like to read and review books for Fantasy Book Review then we would be delighted to have you join us. It doesn’t matter where in the world you are.
The role of the reviewer is an autonomous one in which you will be mainly responsible for sourcing your own review material. But we can of course also help with this and thankfully, in today’s age, sourcing review copies has become a simple and enjoyable experience.
Please take a few moments to read the information below as it explains what is involved. If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to ask. After this information is a contact form so you can get in touch with us and take your first step towards becoming a Fantasy Book Reviewer.
- If you are a reviewer who is happy to read and review ebooks you will never be at a loss for a read. There is a wonderful resource called NetGalley and if you register and mention in your profile that you review for Fantasy Book Review you should have no problem having your review requests accepted.
- As reviewers we have all read and reviewed our own bookshelves. This is a great place for a new reviewer to start. Don’t worry if a book is already reviewed on the site, our stats show us that books with multiple reviews are the most read and the most useful.
- If you are nervous and concerned that your review will not be good enough, don’t worry. The only way to get good at something is by doing it. And we’ll help you all the way. All reviews are soft-edited and and recommendations fed back.
- You can request review copies from authors (social media channels are particularly useful for this) and the many corporate and independent publishing houses. Again, this is something we can help with an help reviewers establish connections.
- You can use your local library to source the very latest books. It’s just a wonderful way of doing things.
- The recommended length of a review is 400 words+.
Getting the review to us
The review itself can be in 2 formats:
- Within the message body of an email. Please include your rating out of 10, to 1 decimal point. For example, 8.0/10 or 8.7/10
- As a Word document (.doc, .docx and .odt all are fine) attached to an email.
Contact us today
If all of the above sounds okay, why not contact us today:
What exactly are we looking for?
Simple. A reader telling another reader what they thought regarding their reading experience of a specific book. Please remember to be always bear in mind that a review is subjective and what works for one does not work for another. Explain why a book did or did not grab you and when possible try to include mentions of books that did certain things better, as a means of comparison.
How long should a review be?
The minimum recommended length would be around 400 words. But many review can be 4 to 5 times that size. Find a review length that suits you and gets across everything you want to say.
How should it be written?
There are no strict rules about how a review is written. All that we ask is that you write it as if you are sitting down talking to another reader. Let them know what you liked and why, and also let them know anything you did not like like, and why. We believe it is very important to back up any criticism with reasoning. This feedback is useful for the author.
How many reviews do you need?
50 reviews a year, or 1 review a year. Read and review at a pace that is comfortable for you.
What if I am not enjoying a book?
If you are unable to finish a book then the best thing to do is to write a short summary on the reading experience and feed this back to the author, agent or publishing house. This will not be published on the site and will serve solely as feedback.
Any other questions, please ask them when you get in touch or leave a comment below.
Fantasy Book Review