Marcus Sedgwick was born in Kent in 1968 and is an acclaimed children's author and illustrator.
Sedgwick is renowned for the dark-themes that he incorporates into his young-adult novels. His first book Floodland was published in 2000, winning the Branford Boase Book Award for best debut children's novel.
"I remember consciously thinking before I wrote it that the city was going to be a character, a gift for the gothic. It's really beautiful, but rotting to pieces at the same time. The 18th century was when it was considered at its most beautiful but also at its most debauched." Marcus Sedgwick: Venice and The Kiss of Death.
Marcus Sedgwick books reviewed
Imagine that a few years from now England is covered by water, and Norwich is an island. Zoe, left behind in the confusion when her parents escaped, survives there as best ...
My Swordhand is Singing
In the bitter cold of an unrelenting winter Tomas and his son, Peter, arrive in Chust and despite the inhospitability of the villagers settle there as woodcutters. Tomas di...
1910. A cabin north of the Arctic Circle. Fifteen-year-old Sig Andersson is alone. Alone, except for the corpse of his father, who died earlier that day after falling throu...
Winterfold, a place of crumbling cliff paths, deserted churches and ruined graveyards, forms the backdrop for Marcus Sedgwick's latest work, White Crow, a contemporary ...
- Floodland, 2000
- Witch Hill, 2001
- The Dark Horse, 2002
- A Winter's Tale, 2003
- Cowards, 2003
- The Book of Dead Days, 2003
- The Dark Flight Down, 2004
- The Emperor's New Clothes/Hans Christian Andersen, 2004
- The Foreshadowing, 2005
- My Swordhand is Singing, 2006
- The Dead Days Omnibus, 2006
- Blood Red, Snow White, 2007
- The Restless Dead, 2007
- The Kiss of Death, 2008
Awards and nominations
- Branford Boase Book Award (Floodland, 2001)
- Edgar Allan Poe nomination (Witch Hill, 2001)
- Independent Reading Association Award nomination (Witch Hill, 2001)
- Portsmouth Book Award nomination (Witch Hill, 2001)
- Guardian Children's Fiction Prize shortlist (The Dark Horse, 2002)
- Carnegie Medal shortlist (The Dark Horse, 2002)
- Blue Peter Book Award shortlist (The Dark Horse, 2002)
- Guardian Award nomination (The Book of Dead Days, 2003)
- Sheffield Book Award shortlist (The Book of Dead Days, 2003)
- Edgar Allan Poe shortlist (The Book of Dead Days, 2003)
- Booktrust Teenage Prize shortlist (The Foreshadowing, 2006)
- Carnegie Medal shortlist (My Swordhand Is Singing, 2007)
- Nomination- Calderdale book of the year awards (My Swordhand Is Singing, 2007)
- Booktrust Teenage Prize winner (My Swordhand Is Singing, 2007)
- Costa Children's Book Award shortlist (Blood Red, Snow White, 2007)
- Portsmouth Book Award (The Foreshadowing, 2007)
- Salford Children's Book Award shortlist (My Swordhand is Singing, 2007)
- Southern Schools Book Award shortlist (The Foreshadowing, 2007)
- South Lanarkshire Book Award shortlist (My Swordhand is Singing, 2008)